Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 30 May 2012

In the Beginning

I've just signed up for my first Ironman...what have I done!


Let's start with some background... 
I'm a 23-year-old triathlete living in Waterloo, Ontario and I started triathlon in July 2008 after watching a friend complete the Muskoka Long Course Triathlon in Huntsville. How hard could this be?



I got my first bike, a Trek Equinox 5 for $999, and started pedaling. I also went into the pool for the very first time, and it was the pool that made me realize how much work I had to do. I couldn't swim more than two lengths of the 25 yard pool without stopping - how the hell was I going to finish 60 lengths in one go!? As for the run, I hated running. I thought biking would be good enough training for the run.



September 2008, Wasaga Beach HSBC Olympic Triathlon. In short I had a 36+ minute swim, a 1h:14minute-ish bike, and a 55+min 10K. The biggest rush I've ever felt in my life was crossing that finish line, you really can't describe it. I've done many races since but none really compare to the first. 



The race that started it all, Muskoka Long Course. All winter I was in the pool 2 or 3 nights a week (10-11:30pm lane swim) while starting 2nd year of my Engineering Undergrad at UW. Once spring rounded, I got back on the bike and attempted to add running to my training. June 2009 I started with a 28 minute head start on the person who inspired me. My girlfriend's father raced the year before and finished top in his age group. He also acted as my triathlon guru for the year answering every question I had about racing and training. My goal for this race was to not let him pass me. Everything looked good until a familiar blue and red jersey ran by me with 2 km to go. I need to get faster!


Muskoka Bike, 2009


No comments:

Post a Comment