Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 5 June 2012

Detroit

This week is a bit of a curve ball. I had a great training week planned with quality swimming and biking and running, and I'm spending it at a conference in Detroit. No pool, no bike, and running after dark isn't exactly the safest activity. 


I know some people that I train with get stressed and worked-up when they can't train, but I find it relaxing. So since I'm taking a few days off, I thought I'd talk about Detroit.


First of all, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Other than the window in a parking garage with, I swear-to-god a bullet hole in it, I was expecting an 8-mile scene. Instead we got to ride a sick raised light-rail transit system through the city, walked along the waterfront, and went to an awesome Greek restaurant called Pegasus Tavernas.


Firstly I'd like to point out that along the river there were mile markers and a running path for runners. That would be a cool thing to add the the trails in Waterloo to keep track of distance. The second thing is that there are bike lanes EVERYWHERE. Why can't we have that, I mean if a city like Detroit can put them in, why are we having such a difficult time understanding how useful they are.


There are some reputations that are apparently true however. We asked the concierge about a restaurant called Mexican Village that my swim coach told us to go to. She replied kindly with, "It's good but don't go after dark because it tends to get a little Gangy." So all of my opinions on Detroit are based on daylight hours.


Back to the point of this post. I plan to look at this training break in a positive way and use it to recover and get ready for a big weekend. If Jeffie can get sick or injured as often as he does and still run like the wind on Thursday workouts, I don't think a few days will hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment