Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 14 August 2012

Game Face

5 Days to Go...

This is a game face!
I hear a lot about people getting more and more nervous as the race start nears. If you said you didn't feel nervous you would be lying. How do you deal with it...every time I think about race day I want to bite off my whole finger.

First you need to realize what you are actually nervous about. Are you nervous about finishing, beating a personal best time, getting a flat tire, the swim, stomach issues...the list can literally go on and on. Once you have written down everything that makes you nervous, separate the factors you can control from the ones you can't control.

You'll probably notice that most of the things that make you nervous are out of your control. You can't stop a flat tire from happening, you can't make the waves smaller, you can't change the weather, you can't decide that your stomach will handle everything you put in it. What you CAN do is practice fixing a flat, start the swim at the edge of the pack, put clothes in your special needs bag, practice eating what you will eat on the race course... Don't stress about things that you CAN'T control.

Instead of getting nervous, I've found myself getting excited. This is, after all, for fun and we shouldn't forget that. I know I've trained enough like everyone else who will show up on the start line. I know I will finish and I know I will have a good race. I've planned my bike set-up, practiced fixing flat tires, swam in huge waves, eaten all sorts of foods while training and in all kinds of weather. I know what to do and what not to do to get me through the race. 

The hardest part is believing all of this. This is when we need to put on our game faces. Tell yourself out-loud that you are ready, that you are fit, and that you are one tough MO!#3RF&@$er. If you say it enough, you will believe it.

When you're getting stressed and nervous, repeat that to yourself and think about putting on your game face. Nothing but you can stop you.


This will be you.




No comments:

Post a Comment