Powered By Blogger

Saturday 18 August 2012

Ironman Village

So if you've never been to an Ironman event before...it's nothing like any other triathlon. Everyone here is jacked and has smooth legs, everyone has a sweet bike, and everyone looks like they could kick your ass on the course. At least this is the first impression I got on Thursday when I arrived here. 

Now that I've had more time to watch other athletes, they don't seem that frightening. Looks can be deceiving - I've realized this when competing in smaller triathlons and super fit looking people finish waaaay behind me. So a small hint to everyone out there; don't worry about anyone else because you look just as fast and awesome as everyone else.

If looks are deceiving, this guy should win!
The routine we've been following since we've been here has been: swim at 9:00, ride and or run at 10:00, finish exercising by 11:00 am to have the rest of the day to relax and buy stuff. It's been freezing at night so it will definitely be a wetsuit swim. The weather is still calling for sunny and 21 degrees during the day so the bike and run should be glorious! I'm so excited for the race to start.

The Athlete dinner last night was pretty good and it was really cool to be in a giant tent filled with 2,586 crazy people (you have to be a little crazy to do this). Mike Riley will be here to announce those 4 words I look forward to hearing tomorrow and David Orlowski, who finished 3rd in the very first Ironman in 1978, talked about his first race and how much the sport has evolved. He had to carry money in his pockets so he could stop at grocery stores and McDonald's as nutrition during the bike - epic!

This is David racing in his new cut-off jeans.
Today is a fine tuning day. We found out that the mass-start swim will be a beach start, so we will practice beach starts this morning followed by a short ride and short run. Our bikes and transition bags have to be checked in by 4:00pm so we have to make sure we have everything ready today. I bought hotdogs for my special needs bag in-case I get a little hungry on the course (they have been life-savers on some of my long rides). 

I feel ready, as should everyone here. I have so much confidence from my team and I can't wait to see them all on race course. 

This is where the magic happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment