Powered By Blogger

Friday 28 June 2013

Post Ironman

It takes a few days for the hype and excitement of Ironman to wear off. The pain in your legs reminding you of your accomplishment may last even longer...but it's sooo worth it!

I have to say my favourite part (no matter how tired I felt) was going back to the finish line for that last few hours of finishers. If you ever have this opportunity, don't miss it. The energy of the crowd, the look of relief and sometimes disbelief in the finishers faces, and the collective chant "YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!" is something I'll never forget. You really have to be there to fully appreciate it.


I won't go into the race too much, that is something you have to learn about on your own. In the end I finished 5th in my age-group and 88th overall in a time of 10h:04m:27s. At the finish line, there was classic Smoke's poutine and locally brewed beer that wasted no time enjoying.

After a few weeks off with minimal training, the body finds itself forgetful of the pain it had endured. I'm sure if you could remember the sensations vividly, no one would race more than once. Once registration opened for 2013, I found myself signing up again for the full Ironman and the 70.3. I knew I could improve and what a better way than to practice on the same course. The weakest part of my race is definitely the run. I'm going to have to put a lot of work into my technique and efficiency if I'm going to have any chance at qualifying for Hawaii next October.

Look to my next post to get a summary of my winter training and progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment